We concluded our month-long look at poetry for our MLUC Meditation Group I with the theme of beauty with an interview of John O’Donohue. You can also read about our sessions on Intimacy, Vulnerability and Pain & Suffering.
Finding beauty inside and out
In the introduction to his interview, O’Donohue observes, “beauty . . . is about an emerging fullness, a greater sense of grace and elegance, a deeper sense of depth, and also a kind of homecoming for the enriched memory of your unfolding life.” When we recognize beauty, it helps us pause. To reflect on gifts we receive as well as wishes and dreams we carry.
Participants shared the beauty they’d experienced in the past week, including listening to music, observing animals, and being connected with others.
Listed below are some of the poems and readings that were shared:
- Leaving The Island by David Whyte – “it must have been the slant of light”
- Salute The Terns by our own Greg Gaul – “or is nature designed to order us”
- Auguries Of Innocence by William Blake – “to see the world in a grain of sand“
- Beauty of Life by Edwina Reizer – “you came to know beauty, nothing more“
- Mimesis by Fady Joudah – “that’s how others become refugees, isn’t it?”
- Ten Thousands Flowers by Wu Men Hui-k’ai – “this is the best season of your life”
- Messenger by Mary Oliver – “My work is loving the world”
- I Love A Lonely Winding Road by Alora M. Knight
- Pied Beauty by Gerard Manley Hopkins
- Introduction To Poetry by Billy Collins – “all they want to do is tie the poem to a chair with rope”
- Sunday Morning by Wallace Stevens
Whatever what is is is what I want.
Mindfulness & Meditation for Positive Habit Change
Choose one or all: 9/18, 10/9, 11/20, 12/11
Learn to train your brain to break old habits and adopt new ones!
Examples of habits to be addressed include technology use, self-
compassion & self-care, physical fitness, and procrastination.
7 – 8:15pm. No cost to attend.
Tredyffrin Library, 582 Upper Gulph Road, Strafford
We are proud to offer a weekend retreat. Wholehearted: A Men’s Meditation Retreat takes place in Wilkes-Barre at a beautiful rural property full of opportunity for reflection, connection, hiking, fishing and learning. The fee of $230 includes meals, lodging and a guided meditative experience accessible to beginners and experienced practitioners. Visit our event listing to sign up and learn more.